We’re so honored you are considering Pastries by Randolph as a wedding cake vendor for your big day!
Designing the perfect wedding cake can be divided into 4 steps. We request that you read through this information and then email us at email@example.com with your specific event details and questions. Also take a look at our Wedding Cake Gallery to browse through a sampling of wedding cakes we have done in the past. We are not currently offering in person consultations, rather we offer wedding cake samples that can be ordered on our website to be picked up and tried at your convenience, with 48 hours notice. Following your tasting, we discuss design and flavor details over email and finalize with payment over the phone. You can expect to get a sketch along with detailed pricing for up to 4 designs.
Step 1: Reserve the Date
- Your spot can be held once you have your wedding date without having any other details finalized by placing a $100 (non refundable) deposit that will be applied to the cost of your wedding cake.
- If you are unsure of your final choice for wedding cake vendor, we encourage you to try our samples first, and reserve the date as soon as you can since dates fill up pretty quickly.
Step 2: Order Cake Samples
- We recommend you try at least 2- 3 different samples so you have a wide range of flavors to choose from.
- Keep in mind that each cake tier is limited to 2 flavors, however, if you have multiple tiers, you can have each tier flavored differently.
- Samples cost $10 each and can be ordered with 48 hours notice on our website.
- Each sample is cut into 3 petit servings, so multiple people can try each flavor combination.
- Although all samples are the same price, keep in mind any premium flavor will be subjected to an additional charge of $1.00 per serving.
- We will credit a maximum of $20 worth of samples towards the cost of any tiered cake that costs $300 or more.
- Order Buttercream Cake Samples here
- Order Mousse Cake Sample here
Step 3: Cake Design
- Email us any desired cake designs as soon as possible. This way we can start working on a quote while you decide on your favorite flavors.
- The cost of the cake is heavily dependent on the design. The more labor intensive the design is, the more expensive the cake.
- Our average cakes cost between $6 – $10 per serving.
- You can browse our Wedding Cake Gallery and even gather inspiration from some of our celebration cakes. Click on different # to view the designs accordingly.
Step 4: Review and Finalize
- Review and sign off on all details pertaining to flavors, pickup/ delivery date, and design before placing your final payment.
- We ask that all wedding cakes be finalized a minimum of 14 days in advance. However, if you need a last minute cake, we still may be able to take your order depending on availability. All orders taken with less then 14 days notice may not be changed, canceled, or refunded.
How far in advance do I need to order my cake?
To place an order for a wedding cake we need at least 14 days notice. However, we suggest placing your order 3-4 months in advance to ensure availability. Some weekends/days tend to book fast so placing your order early is in your best interest. We recommend calling us first to see if your wedding date is available.
Do you deliver wedding cakes?
Yes, we do deliver wedding cakes. The minimum cake order must be at least $300.00 in order to qualify for delivery. Wedding cake delivery charges are based on distance. However, our delivery range is limited to certain areas so please call to see if your venue is within our delivery area and that your preferred time range is available.
Standard wedding cake delivery is during our regular store hours. Any delivery needed after certain store hours will have an additional charge of $20.00.
What does a cake consultation include and do you need to make an appointment?
Cake consultations entail discussing your envisioned wedding cake ideas and designs with one of our staff members. We encourage you to make an appointment to guarantee time with our staff. Most consultation appointments are available most weekdays from 10am to 5:30pm and Saturdays from 10am to 4pm. It is helpful to bring color swatches and/or inspiration photos, and your approximate guest count along with you to the consultation. We have decoration books available to browse through showcasing the variety of wedding cake decorations we have done in the past. These decorations are representational where we can change colors, design aspects, etc.
How many layers of cake and buttercream are in a wedding cake?
Traditionally, each tier has 6 layers of cake alternating with 5 layers of buttercream, roughly 4″ tall. This is what we refer to as a single barrel. It has recently become popular to increase or decrease the height of one tier when having a multi tiered cake. Therefore, we refer to the height of the cake in barrels:
Single barrel – 4″ tall with 6 layers of cake
1.5 barrel – 6″ tall with 9 layers of cake
Double barrel – 8″ tall with 12 layers of cake
The diagram below will help explain, click on it for a larger view.
Do you provide wedding cake samples?
Yes, you can order cake samples on our website with 48 hours’ notice by clicking here. Each sample is $10. Although all samples are the same price, be conscious that premium flavors will be subject to an additional $1 fee per serving. Each cake sample may contain up to 2 flavors of cake, 2 flavors of buttercream, 1 flavor of syrup, and 1 flavor of jam. Each sample is cut into 3 petite slices.
A maximum of $20 (2 samples) will be applied towards your cake purchase of $300.00 or more. Cake purchases of less than $300 unfortunately do not qualify for the tasting fee deduction. The maximum deduction is limited to $20. In the event of cancellation, this tasting fee will not be refunded.
Are buttercream cakes the only option for samples and wedding cakes?
No! Another possible option are our mousse cakes. These are typical for groom’s cakes, rehearsal dinners, bridal showers, and untraditional yet elegant wedding cakes. If you would like to sample our mousse cake fillings the different options include dark chocolate, white chocolate, and/or the combination marble mousse filling. The fee for each mousse cake slice is $5.75, and samples can be ordered here.
What flavors are available for wedding cakes?
Multi tiered cakes may customize each tier separately. Each tier may have their own combinations of flavors. Every cake is restricted to either buttercream or mousse cakes and can not combine them.
- Cake crumb (6 layers) you may choose up to 2 flavors. – chocolate, yellow, or alternating
- Buttercream filling (5 layers) may choose up to 2 flavors- 14 total flavor options
- Syrups (flavor optional, otherwise we default to vanilla) may choose up to 1 flavor- 11 total choices
- Jam (optional thin layer on the bottom layer of cake) may choose up to 1 flavor – 4 flavor options
- The flavors can be seen on our Wedding Cake Samples page
Mousse cake options:
- Dark Chocolate Mousse slice has 3 layers of sumptuous chocolate cake with two layers of our classic dark chocolate mousse all skillfully shaved in our dark chocolate shavings.
- White Chocolate Mousse slice has 3 layers of Grand Mariner soaked yellow cake with 2 layers of our classic white chocolate mousse all deliciously skillfully shaved in our white chocolate shavings.
- Our Marble Mousse slice has 2 layers of chocolate cake and 1 layer of yellow cake soaked in Grand Marnier syrup with 1 layer each of white chocolate and dark chocolate mousse topped elegantly with white and dark chocolate shavings.
How much is a wedding cake going to cost?
Our average wedding cakes serve 14-94 people and costs between $84 – $1,150. This translates, and may be referred to as $6-$12 per serving. More intricate or elaborate decorations will increase the price per serving.
The total cost of the cake will depend upon the level of difficulty and exact details required. A variety of styles and designs are available to chose from so we recommend setting up a consultation appointment to discuss pricing in more detail. Please visit our Wedding Cake Gallery to view cakes in your price range.
What do you suggest when working with a tight budget?
Order a smaller show cake for slicing and pictures with an additional sheet cake to be served at the same time. This brings down the average cost per serving from $6- $12 per serving for tiered cakes to $2.80- $3.60 per serving for sheet cakes.
When do I have to pay for the wedding cake?
After placing your order a $100.00 non-refundable deposit , the remaining balance is due at least 14 days prior to your event. Please note that your order date and time is not confirmed until receiving the $100.00 deposit.
Can we cancel/alter our wedding cake?
We understand complications can arise so we do allow cake cancellations or rescheduling. Our strict policy states that refunds, cancellations, or changes to the order must be made within 2 weeks notice. Unfortunately if you are not in that time range we can’t refund the order however, when possible, we will offer rescheduling options.
How do we store the wedding cake?
This depends on what kind of wedding cake you ordered. Buttercream cake samples are best kept in the refrigerator until about 2 hours before eating. Buttercream cakes are best eaten at room temperature so it is perfectly fine for the cake to be displayed in an air-conditioned room for up to 6 hours. However, be sure to keep the cake away from direct sunlight and/or spotlight.
Mousse cakes however, are more fragile and delicate so they must be kept refrigerated until serving. Then the cake can be put out for display in a cool air conditioned room. This type of cake should not be displayed in a warm room or for a long period of time. We tend to not recommend this type of wedding cake during the hot summer months and for it never be served outside due to the mousse filling.
What if I want fresh flowers on my cake?
Typically your florist is the one responsible for decorating your cake with the fresh flowers. Once, you have placed your wedding cake order we recommend telling your florist the size and design of the cake so they can plan accordingly. Unfortunately we cannot place fresh flowers on your cake. However, we do offer a variety of icing flower decorations to be added to your cake.